Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10 month old Goldendoodle who is about 70 pounds ate a

Hello, my 10 month old...
Hello, my 10 month old Goldendoodle who is about 70 pounds ate a used sanitary napkin tonight. He ate dinner normally. Should I be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Goldendoodle will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Goldendoodle?
Customer: No
10/18/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about your guy. What is his name? How long ago did he eat this sanitary napkin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His name is***** ate it about 40 minutes ago. He just finished eating dinner and seems normal.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

It was just one of these and nothing else?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correct, it was one. It was used. It is a normal size one; like a maxi pad.

Alright. It being used or unused really doesn't matter. The big unknown here is if that material / size is big enough or starts to pass in a manner that causes it to bunch / block him up. There is no way to know if it will or won't pass. With him just eating it about 40 minutes ago, there is a good chance it is in the stomach still. It typically isn't successful to induce vomiting after 2 hours in situations like this. To try to get him to vomit it up, 3% hydrogen peroxide given as 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds can be tried. That volume can be mixed with a little milk to make him drink it. If he vomits it up, then problem seems resolved. IF it isn't vomited up or he doesn't vomit, then it is the unknown. It may sit in the stomach for days and days before attempting to pass. It may start to pass in another couple hours. What you don't want to see is him vomiting in the next few days to weeks if he doesn't get it up now. If he starts to vomit, goes off food for over 24 hours or is looking off - then it may be a blockage that your vet needs to see.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I don't think I can make this throw up, so I will just have to see if it passes. He is a dog who drinks a ton of water, so hopefully that helps him pass it.

Some dogs his size will eat similar sized kids socks and underwear and some will be able to pass those and some won't. I would feed him his normal food and not change things there. Keeping things the same will let you better judge if he's going to have an issue. In my career, one of the worst cases I had was with tampons being eaten. Multiple ones were eaten and they tangled together and got stuck. Watch for those signs and if they come up, get him seen right away. I'm hoping for the best for him!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I hope being just one that he is able to pass it or pukes it up whole.
It being just one is better than being mutiple or it being with other material!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, let's hope so! When is he likely to pass it, if he is able to?
It could be a couple days to a week.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks!

No problem. I hope that he can pass it and he can stay out of trouble in the future. Try to keep the garbage in an inaccessible area. At my ER, socks and underwear are probably the most common things eaten.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian