Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have discovered a lump on my 17 year old Shiba Inu's

I have discovered a...

I have discovered a lump on my 17 year old Shiba Inu's chest. It does not seem to move around but is a solid mass about 2 1/2 " round.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Moshi (female)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Moshi?

She is a rescue dog I have had for 10 years. Very traumatized. Small for her breed. Currently in good health for her age. Has been peeing more often lately is deaf and serious cataracts I am treating with flax oil & MSM.

10/17/2017
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Moshi.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Fortunately, most of the lumps and bumps that dogs develop are benign and are no concern at all. They bother us more than they bother the dogs, in most cases. They rarely cause pain unless they become invasive and affect nerves/muscle.

There actually could be several possible explanations for the lump that you have found:

1. Lipomas or fatty tumors can develop anywhere on the body. These are totally benign. They can feel firm if they are underneath muscle. Some of them can become quite large while others remain the same size.
2. Cystic mass....also benign although this is a little on the larger side for a cyst.
3. Small abscess or infection although these are usually a little uncomfortable when felt and often have a small obvious wound or puncture site.

4. Hematoma (blood filled space) or seroma (serum filled space) usually secondary to trauma of some sort.

5. Cancer, I am sad to say, can develop in a dog this age which is the only reason that I've included it on the list.

Since it's often not possible to determine what a lump or bump might be based on feel or visualization alone, usually cells need to be aspirated and examined under a microscope or sent off to a pathologist for review if there's any doubt about what the vet is seeing.

I wouldn't consider this to be an ER type of situation but it might be wise to have this lump checked by your vet. Then depending on the aspirate results (if done), the next step could be discussed.

I hope this helps, Deb

This lump seems to be closer to her throat than directly in her chest. Might it be related to thyroid?

I suppose this might be a submandibular lymph node then, if it's closer to her jaw line than chest. It's also possible that it's related to her thyroid if it's higher than her chest although this sort of problem is fairly uncommon....and unfortunately, usually cancer, I'm sorry to say.

Deb

I am a senior citizen on a fixed income. I do not have the resources to pay another $28 for advice to take her to the vet. I have considered that but am seeking more information on what this could possibly be. Again, the lump seems closer to her throat. Might it be related to the thyroid?

My state board prohibits telephone conversations so no worries if this is the additional service you're referring to.

And, I believe my response must have been sent at the exact same time as your second post. Deb

Are there holistic answers to this issue?

I suppose this might depend on what the lump actually is but in general, I've not found alternative treatments/supplements to be of benefit for most lumps/bumps which older dogs develop. Deb

At her age should I bother worrying about this lump? What should I watch for if I do nothing about this lump but wait.

At her age should I bother worrying about this lump? I'm not sure if this is something that I can answer since we don't know what it is but it makes sense to monitor it for now if it's not bothering her.

If this is something serious, then it may enlarge rather quickly; if it's smooth now, it may become more lumpy. The skin may look bruised or red.

If it doesn't change, then this is likely not anything serious. Deb

If she is peeing more often has that anything to do with any of the initial issues you noted?

I wouldn't expect increased urination to be related to a lump regardless of what it might be....at least this isn't my experience. I suppose if this was an infection and she was running a fever, then perhaps she might drink more water and would then need to urinate more frequently but if she's not otherwise acting unusual, then it's not likely related.

Would giving her some of my urinary support formula be OK? It contains cranberry, dandelion leaf, marshmallow root, cleavage leaf, corn styles and goldenseal root
Since the lump seems closer to her throat than down in her chest, could it be related to her thyroid?
It is sort of halfway between her throat and chest area. She is small, only about 15 pounds.

Would giving her some of my urinary support formula be OK? It won't be harmful if that's what you're asking; it won't be toxic for her.

...could it be related to her thyroid? It seems you may not have read my response to your earlier question about this possibility which I'll repeat here:

It's also possible that it's related to her thyroid if it's higher than her chest although this sort of problem is fairly uncommon....and unfortunately, usually cancer, I'm sorry to say.

Unfortunately, I have to step away from my computer to help a neighbor who has health issues. My apologies for the inconvenience but if you have additional questions, I should log back on at some point in the next few hours and I can address them at that time. Deb

Oh, OK I'll ponder and do a little more research on your information to determine if I have more questions. Than you

You're more than welcome.

Regards, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian