Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is there a way to help clear his nose as struggling to

Is there a way to...
Is there a way to help tommy clear his nose as struggling to breath through his nose, bearing jn mind the tumour is in his noseRosie
10/17/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. It depends on what is causing the obstruction. Is it the tumor, inflammation, mucus? For inflammation, steroids would be the best option. If it is the tumor, steroids may still help some, but the tumor would have to be removed or debulked to make a big difference. If it is mucus, I would talk to your vet about putting him on an anti-histamine like Benadryl. Steroids may help with that as well, but they won't help to dry up the mucus secretions as well. I would want to make sure with your vet that Benadryl wouldn't interfere with any other condition he may have or other medications he may be on. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hi Dr John thanks for getting back to me. I think he may have sorted some food up his nose. He did that a few says ago but we now roll up moist food and feed it to him. Maybe he picked up stray droppings ehuch he has snorted up.

It is possible. That should create some congestion. A saline nasal spray can help to break that up. Just make sure he doesn't get stressed out with doing it, so I would try just a small amount of spray at a time. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Thank you for you assistsance. I'll give that a try tomorrow if he cant clear it himself tonight. Regards Rosie

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions.