Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an 8 year old Toy Poodle/Pomeranian with brain

Customer Question
Hi, I have an...

Hi, I have an 8 year old Toy Poodle/Pomeranian with brain cancer, he can't stand or walk and I think it merciful to have him put down. He is traumatized going to the vet.. I wanted it to be as kind for him..can I give him 2 or 3 Ambiens instead of having him injected and trauma of going to a vet? Thank you for your consideration and time..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I have spent about $1,000 in the last 4 months on good reputable vets and their diagnosis is arthritis, li\ver and gall bladder problems, collapsed trachea, loss lot of weight...He hardly eats. He can't use either front or back legs to stand,,walk, he collapses.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the toy poodle's name?

Sparky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sparky?

He is loved,,

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there, I am Dr. Christensen. I am so sorry to hear that Sparky is suffering. It is never easy to watch our furry friends go through pain. It sounds like you have done a lot to get him a diagnosis and have a good understanding of what is going on with Sparky. If you truly think that it is time and do not want to take him into a clinic, I would recommend calling around to find a house call/mobile veterinarian. They are becoming more and more common. Your regular veterinarian should have know if there is somebody that offers this service in your area. Also, your regular veterinarian or another vet in the area may do house calls. This way the doctor can come to your house and appropriately and humanely euthanize Sparky without the stress of going to the clinic. If that is not an option in your area, talk to you veterinarian about sedatives that you can give at home that will allow you to take him into the clinic stress free. Please understand that I cannot and do not recommend giving any type of human medication as an alternative to humane euthanasia. These medications are not approved in dogs for this purpose and may not lead to humane euthanasia. I know you love Sparky very much and want what is best for him.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago

When I perform a euthanasia, I always sedate the patient and place an IV catheter to make the process as stress free for the pet as possible. Talk to your veterinarian about their process and your wishes. I am sure they will be able to answer any questions that you have about euthanasia.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 4 months ago

Again, I am so sorry to hear that Sparky is suffering. I recently went through this with my own dog, and even as a veterinarian it never gets any easier. Please let me know if you have any other questions. And if you would take a moment to rate my service, it would be greatly appreciated. Wishing you all the best and a peaceful goodbye to your sweet friend.

Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen