Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Is it ok to give my dog azodyl, standard process renal

support, Pepcid ad, and phos-binder...
Is it ok to give my dog azodyl, standard process renal support, Pepcid ad, and phos-binder, or is this too much?
10/17/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

There is nothing that would contradict this combination for renal health if a dog has kidney disease. I always recommend adding one in at a time to ensure there is no ill effects from one particular treatment and if there is you can hone in on which supplement is the issue

Please only be using the phosphorus binder if diagnosed with elevated phosphorus levels and recheck a few weeks after starting to ensure an appropriate dose

But there is no issue with this combination and have patients on the medications and supplements listed for a few of my patients

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hi thank you for answering. my dog had high levels of phosphorus. With the binder her levels for that came down to normal. the vet told me since that one is normal I can discontinue using the binder. but i'm worried that if I stop it will go back up. is this something that could happen?

The purpose of the binder is to bind the phosphorus in the food so if the values are normal it is doing the job and if discontinued those same levels will return to an elevated state so it should not be discontinued if the values are regulated while on the binder

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you!

You are very welcome :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian