Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog pees a lot,drinks water like no tomorrow. 11 years.

Customer Question
My dog pees a...

My dog pees a lot,drinks water like no tomorrow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

11 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Godzilla

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Godzilla?

Yes one of her boobs is very large

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Godzilla is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While I cannot accurately diagnose your dog's problem via the Internet I can give you the following general information based on my past experience of a great many such cases over the years. The bot***** *****ne is that drinking excessively such as you describe would always be quite a cause for concern, the chances are some disease process is causing these symptoms so this is something you should have checked out by your vet sooner rather than later. A further cause for concern is the enlarged breast, this is another reason to have your dog checked over.

2. What I can do though is to talk you through just a few of the common possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know of. This is the personal list I use when presented with a dog like yours, the chances are that the disease your dog is suffering from is here somewhere ...

A. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
B. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
C. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
D. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
E. Cushings syndrome

3. Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have Godzilla checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. Sadly there is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation, however a thorough clinical examination followed by a quick blood test will very often shed light on what is going on.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Godzilla is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her excess drinking ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott