Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog shivering vomiting please help. A piece of chicken

Customer Question
Dog shivering vomiting white please...
Dog shivering vomiting white please help
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: A piece of chicken yesterday but she was fine
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Journi
JA: How old is Journi?
Customer: Almost 1
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Journi?
Customer: No she's perfectly healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/17/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

I am sorry Journi is not feeling well. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything besides the piece of chicken?

2- Did she eat the bone?

3- Any diarrhea?

4- Is she lethargic?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She probably chewed a bone but she has plenty times before
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She keeps trying to use the bathroom but nothing is coming out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know what lethargic means?

Lethargic means no energy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
like she keeps trying to find a warm spot

Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it's pink

How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well she's very small she's a shorkie
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had her in the room last night and forgot to close the window it's very chilly outside

Friend, the symptoms that you are describing are not caused from being chilly last night. My immediate concern is if she ate a piece of chicken bone and it is obstructed in the intestinal tract. Other possible causes are infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes.

Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination, I am sorry. In this case, I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test. If possible, I would have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. If you do not have access to ER vet this is what you can do until she is seen by your vet in the morning:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination in the morning. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian