Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog sometimes gets pancreatitis. She is on a low fat

HiMy dog sometimes gets pancreatitis...
HiMy dog sometimes gets pancreatitis. She is on a low fat diet, takes probiotics and is on a digestive enzyme. Tonight she is showing some discomfort. It happens every once in a while. She is given gabopentin and meloxicam when she is feeling/showing pain (her pain manifests as panting, shaking, jumping up on things, pacing, not eating etc) She received gabopentin and meloxicam (meloxicam just now because she didnt eat anything until just now) She is eating and drinking so if she is fighting pancreatitis i dont think it is that severe. we are waiting to get the pancreatitis test back tomorrow, my doctor didnt think she needed to stay at the vet overnight since she is eating, drinking and not vomiting. She didnt vomit the other two times she came back positive for pancreatitis.My question is can I give her cerenia along with the meloxicam and gabopentin? She is also on reglan twice a day for acid reflux issues. I dont want to give it to her if it will conflict. Am I doing right by her in general?
10/16/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Thank you for such a detailed history. Yes you are doing everything right with your current course of action and yes you can administer the cerenia safely with the other medications to minimize risk of vomiting, especially if she is having any signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass, belching).

The cerenia is often administered with the above medications without issue and I would advise giving at least 1 hour prior to the next meal

I hope that this passes swiftly and it sounds like you are a pro at treating her condition at this point. If there is anything else I can do please don't hesitate to ask

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

ok so cerenia, meloxicam and gabopentin along with reglan are fine? she is licking the sky and lips, so i think thats nausea

Yes it does sound like she is nauseous :(

All are safe in combination

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

ok i just gave her the cerenia so hopefully the combination of the three medications help her..... we are waiting on the pancreatitis test to come back tomorrow so i guess that will give a more thorough number and how bad/not bad it is.... until then im hoping this works
my vet told me i should have went to vet school because i know so much, but i just want to do whats best by her

That's great, I'm sure she appreciates you being so diligent for her! :)

ok thank you again, hopefully it'll work and help her rest tonight- i hate giving her so much medication.
she also just ate a little bit just now, half of her meal, and drank some water so i think thats a good sign? usually dogs with pancreatitis dont eat much

I completely understand, I have thrown the kitchen sink at my dog just recently when he was miserable in hopes of breaking through his pain. Hopefully you will only need the one dose of cerenia

Yes but I was hoping you would wait the 1 hour after the cerenia to feed since she is showing signs of nausea

she had already eaten before the cerenia.
did not mean to say it was just now, she ate about 30 minutes before the cerenia

Fingers crossed no issues

If you are able to get her on a walk, even if just 10-15 minutes that will help the stomach empty and reduce the nausea as well as get the cerenia moving through

I will take her out in about 15 minutes for her last walk tonight.

Sounds great!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian