Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe she has either a yeast infection in her ears or…

Customer Question
I believe she has...

I believe she has either a yeast infection in her ears or ear mites how to tell the difference?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Heidi oh, she is a nine year old German Shepherd and I have never had problems with her before as far as this goes

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Heidi?

She is on Neurontin and Duramax for her hip issues other than that she is a beautiful Healthy dog I hate to see her shaking her head like this the vet says she can't get her in until Friday

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/16/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about Heidi's ears. It is unlikely to be ear mites; these are rare in adult dogs. The only way to get ear mites is to be in close association with a cat or kitten with ear mites.

If it is a yeast infection, that is far more common in adult dogs. Usually yeast infections are secondary to an allergic reaction affecting the ears.

I like Tresaderm for ears; it is good for inflammation and yeast, and it also gets ear mites! Since it is by prescription, you can only get it from a veterinarian who has seen and examined Hiedi.

Until you can get her to the vet, you can gently clean or flush the ears with a water/vinegar solution. If they are red and itchy, you can apply a little bit of cortisone cream, such as Cortaid.

Please let me know if this helps and what other questions you have.

I have some triamcinolone cream and I also have some Ciprodex I was wondering if either one of those could be applied to help her until I can get her to the vet

A small amount of triamcinolone cream in each ear only once daily may be helpful.

I have to look up Ciprodex; not familiar with it!

It is a combination antibiotic/ steroid. It would not have any activity against yeast. It is safe to use, but I don't know if it will help. Do not use it along with the triamcinolone; use one or the other.

I did not hear back from you; I hope you saw my response. How is Heidi doing?

Was my answer helpful? Can I answer any other questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

How is Heidi doing?