Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has fatty tumors that have been biopsied she has more

than seven on her body...
my dog has fatty tumors that have been biopsied she has more than seven on her body. is there a possibility of a more serious condition that can be treated ? is it causing her pain is it worth her going through would I be hurting her more if I asked the vet to remove them?
10/16/2017
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are the lumps growing quickly at all?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't see them grow larger than the size of half of a ping pong ball two are harder the rest can be moved when you touch them

Okay thanks for the additional information . If they are just fatty tumors they are usually not painful unless they are getting larger in size or they are in a location there there are a large amount of nerves. Usually the fatty tumors are very easy to remove in most cases especially if they are not associated with muscle

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how would you know ? like nerves are you referring to the ears ? by muscle is that a mean they are connected to the tissue? would she need an xray? is there a metabolic condtion or something else that would prevent more from developing?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she has most on her abdomen one that is hard and large on her right shoulder and one below the bones on her chest . would healing from that mean she cant sleep? are they cuts and sutures? or is it drained?

There was a few locations that contain a large amount of nerves where the fatty tumors can cause problems. But they have to be rather large to affect them. Those places are under the armpits or under the neck. It sounds like her tumors are small so I doubt that that would be the case. Usually some fatty tumors can develop under the muscle and these tend to be firmer then other. But again they have to be pretty large to cause discomfort. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to prevent them from forming But As long as they are slow growing then they rarely become a issue . She definitely doesn't need x-rays if they are just fatty tumors. Usually after surgery they may be discomfort for the first few days but pain meds usually help with that

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry to bother you what would be an issue and if they are around the armpit because of the nerves would that be more painful for the animal to remove it than do nothing even if they have hardened?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry I am just unclear about issue? is there something other than pain and discomfort?

If they are just under the skin then it won't be an issue because it will be still far enough from the nerves. It is usually when they tumors are large enough to interfere with the nerves when they are a issue. If they are just ping pong size then that is very unlikely.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the only way to know that is by size?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how quickly they grow
so returning to the same vet would be better

Your veterinarian should be able to determine when they examine her if the tumors are superficial or deep. If they are superficial then the surgery is as extensive and there is little risk for nerve issue. But you should know before the surgery once she is examined.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you for the words. I didn't know the right questions to ask or concerns I should have. thank you. if it is superficial if the vet removes it, the one around the armpit, will hurt more than if I leave it alone ?

You are welcome. It can always be scary having your older pet get surgery. So I understand. The one around the armpit will only hurt more it it get larger. If it stays the same size it will not likely cause any issue if it is an fatty tumor

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Colie. How is everything going?

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian