Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chihuahua was eating a pork bone yesterday and she has

Customer Question
been throwing up JA: I'm sorry...
My chihuahua was eating a pork bone yesterday and she has been throwing up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: the pork bone - it was her first time
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mixie - about 4 - not exactly sure about the age
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mixie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mixie?
Customer: she's lethargic right now
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/15/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup Mixie ate a pork bone yesterday and has had some vomiting and is lethargic now.
It's hard to tell whether her symptoms are due to eating a rich, unusual food and dehydration from vomiting or whether this is related to a blockage and/or irritation from bones scraping and damaging her gastrointestinal tract.

I understand that she is vomiting without your prompting, but I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs eat sharp objects like bones. The chances of tearing her esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the bones out is much too high. So that too is a worry since she is vomiting. I hope she at least chewed the bone thoroughly before she swallowed as that will make the pieces she is vomiting smaller and the passage of pieces a little easier.

Because she is lethargic and actively vomiting now ideally she should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

If that isn't possible todays there are some things we can try at home but she may need to see a veterinarian if she isn't coming along well.

To try and settle her stomach now you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and may help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation from eating something she should not have. Either one can be given for several days if need be.

I would wait to feed her for 4-6 hours. If she doesn't vomit you can try feeding her a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the bone pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated anymore and isn't contracting on just bone.

A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber.

You'll need to continue checking her stools frequently for bone pieces in the next few days.

Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are continued vomiting, a tense painful belly, continued lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and continued severe lethargy.

If you aren't seeing bone fragments in the next day or two a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the bones are located in her gastrointestinal tract is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.

Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.
Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian