Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She ate a bag of gummy candy last night. She threw up most…

She ate a bag...

She ate a bag of gummy candy last night. She threw up most all of it this morning and also threw up her regular breakfast.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

I didn't see the candy mess until after I had fed her today. She has peed outside and is drinking water but threw up again after drinking water. Her name is ***** ***** she is only 4-5 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scout?

No. She's healthy otherwise.

10/15/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Scout.

What was the gummy candy sweetened with; did it have sugar or an artificial sweetener? The artificial sweetener "xylitol" is used in some gummy candy, and is toxic to dogs. Can you look on the label for the sweetener, or tell me the exact name of the product so I can look it up?

No artificial sweetener.

Thank goodness! Xylitol can be bad news for dogs.

If you lift her lip and check her gums, are they pink?

You can give Pepcid AC (famotidine) for vomiitng. Don't feed her, and offer water only in very small amounts, or as ice chips, until you see if she can keep water down.

they look pink and normal.
Ok. Thanks!

How much does she weigh for the dose of famotidine?

You are welcome!

Last vet visit she was 15 lbs.

She could take 5 mg of famotidine, twice daily.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Ok. Thank you again. I appreciate it.

You are welcome. Please let me know how she is doing!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian