Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What can cause bad breath besides the tumor on his face..

What can cause bad...

What can cause bad breath besides the tumor on his face

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

Jack. 12years old. Beagle

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jack?

12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?

He has a non cancerous tumor on his face that is growing and is impacting his ability to breathe

He had a dental to see if that was the reason but it didn't help. No foreign objects found on any of the three scans and 2 X-Ray scans. As long as he is on antibiotics, be doesn't stink. He also takes steroids with every round of antibiotics. 8 vets and $1600 in tests have told us the same thing. "Its a tumor but no sign of cancer. It's growing. We don't know why his breath stinks only when he is not on antibiotics. He's a happy dog. He has no idea anything is wrong other than its hard to chew with a growing mass in his jaw/face/ear/throat.
10/15/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear about Jack and all that you have been through with him. Obviously he has had a lot of exams and extensive testing and I have done neither, but I will provide you with some insight based on my experience.

I am working on a response right now.....

Well first I will say, any type of tumor near the face, even if benign can definitely cause an odor if it looks like it is getting infected. I would think, however, that you would be able to tell if it is coming from the mass and it would have to be close to the mouth or in the mouth to be contributing to the odor. I recently diagnosed 2 dogs with oral tumors and I can 't even begin to describe how terrible their breath was. This can just happen when you have abnormal tissue growing where it shouldn't be.

Second, just like with people, bad breath can come from the mouth with dental disease and bacteria (you have already addressed this) AND/OR it can come from the stomach. There are pets and people that have chronic bad breath but great oral health and it is because the odor is coming from much lower.

I have seen many clients with this concern and there are 2 things that I recommend to see if it helps...no guarantees but in some cases it can help.

1. Pepcid AC- This is an acid reducer which can be very helpful for the stomach AND if he is on chronic steroids it is highly recommended as steroids can be irritating to the stomach. IF you provide me with his weight, I can give you a dose to try. You can get it at any pharmacy and it is very safe.

2. Probiotic- sometimes the normal bacterial flora is altered especially with chronic antibiotics and chronic steroids, that it is a good idea to try to balance things out again. There are many probiotics available. The most palatable seems to be purina fortiflora. This is powder you can just add to the food daily.

typing more...

Finally, you can always water additives and/or oral rinses. The rinses become more difficult depending on the pet.

I guess the interesting thing about this case for me it that I would be curious to know where this mass is actually located and it is so far progressed that it is inoperable or is it in a location that it can not be surgically removed?

Anyway, please let me know if you have any questions. I am sorry that Jack is going through this and I am sorry about the tumor. That is a tough situation.

I hope that helps to clarify things. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how he is doing. I will also follow up with you to see how things are going.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Oh! Pepcid a great idea! He is 45lbs (fat beagle lol) I use to have him on that and I forgot about it. I think it was half of a 20mg? Also, I forgot to tell you. We did send him in for surgery to have it removed. When the vet got in there, he found that the tumor was wrapped around the main blood vessel to jacks brain and didn't want to chance it. He had blastomycosis 7 years ago and we had to take the eye out on that same side. The tumor filled the eye cavity and continues down his throat, in in mouth/ jaw and sinus cavity. I'm going to send you a picture. I've very happy with my response. Anything new to try makes me happy. Even if it doesn't help at all, it's okay because we just won't give up on him until he is unhappy and too uncomfortable. :)

So his dose of Pepcid AC would be 10 mg every 12-24 hours.

OH my gosh!! I can't believe what you have been through with him. You sound like a great owner. I am sorry that more couldn't be done. By the sounds of that situation, that alone could definitely contribute to the bad breath.

You obviously take GREAT care of him. Wow, very impressed.

What a sweet little guy. Thanks for the pics. I had no idea it was that involved. Well as long as he seems happy and comfortable that is truly all that matters.

We were sending our messages at the same time, did you get the message with the pepcid dose?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much for your help and the compliments. :) Sometimes it doesn't feel like you're a good owner when you can't fix them lol. I can't imagine having kids!
I got the dose. Thank you. I already have doggie probiotics for another of our babies who has a very sensitive belly so I'll start Jack on those too. We have 6 dogs. All with their own issues. Lol maybe I should have just gone to vet school!

It doesn't always make sense why pets (and people) get these diseases. You have done so much more for him than most people that I have met.

Oh and I have a child and one on the way...It is a lot of worrying!!! But so rewarding too!

Have a great day and I will be checking my message throughout the day, if you need anything else.

Take care and wishing the best for Jack.

I will do that thank you and congrats on your baby on the way!! Have a great rest of your weekend!
Hello! Just wanted to update you on Jack. He's doing well and so far his breath isn't too bad. I have one follow up question. Why do you think his bad breath goes away while he is on antibiotics and comes back soon after he's done with them?

That is very common and it is because the antibiotics are eliminating the bacteria that is present in the mouth or around the tumor. It is very common for that to happen even if there is little visible evidence of dental disease. We all have bacteria in our mouths and that is what contributes to the odor. Think about people... most people brush their teeth twice daily but as the day goes on sometimes they will develop bad breath. Part of this has to do with the amount of dental disease and part of it has to do with genetics.

That makes sense! Thank you so much! :)