Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog appears to have an upset stomach. This morning around…

Hi! My dog appears...

Hi! My dog appears to have an upset stomach. This morning around 7 am, he started to make retching noises and small amounts of clear foam was coming up. It is coming and going. Also, his stomach is making funny noises (like a person when they are hungry) and now he appears to be drooling excessively. He is acting like his normal self and when I took him to the bathroom his poop was a little runny but mostly solid. I did give him some left over rice yesterday night but it was plain brown rice.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?

Stanley and he is a 7 month old lab/ schnuazer mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stanley?

He did just recieve two vaccination shots on Friday and had blood work and a few tests done and all appeared normal

10/15/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good morning,

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

He is a young dog and he is acting pretty normal otherwise so that is good.

I suspect that he has eating something that he should not have. This would explain the vomiting and the nausea(drooling).

If he is still bright and alert then I would recommend no food for today. He can have small amounts of water frequently.

If he does not vomit today then you can start back with the cooked rice and hamburger tomorrow AM

If he continue to vomit today OR if he looks uncomfortable or passes blood in his stool then he needs to go to the emergency room.

Please update me tomorrow, Paul

Is it possible that the rice caused his stomach to be upset? I do not normally feed him human food but I looked it up online and saw it was safe so I figured why not. He strictly eats only dog food but yesterday I wanted to give him a "special" meal by adding in the rice

No, rice is very very palatable and easily digested. You did the right thing by trying that.

It was probably just too early to re-introduce food.

Paul

I think you might be confused as to why I think it was the rice. Prior to last night, he was eating and acting normal. I did not give him the rice as a way to help with his upset stomach-- I made some for myself and had left overs so I gave it to him because I did not want to waste food. This morning, he started throwing up and that is why I believed it might have been the rice. Furthermore, he was with me all day and did not eat anything he was not supposed to. The only thing he ate yesterday was a free treats which I normally give him, and the rice, and food. The last thing he ate before his stomach became upset was the rice and dog kibble.

Got it. Sorry about that :)

It is possible that your food upset his stomach since you rarely if ever give him that.

Was there anything else mixed with the rice?

Sorry I probably did not make that clear. I mixed the rice with his normal dog food that he eats everyday, dry and wet dog food.

No problem.How is he doing now?

I just dropped him off at my vet because I am on a plan for unlimited office visits with them. He seemed okay prior to me dropping him off though; he stopped vomiting and the stomach noises stopped but I just wanted to take him in just in case. He also was alert and excited at the vet which is normal for him. I will let you know what they say when I pick him up! Thank you for your help!

Good call!

Standing by.

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I just picked him up and the vet also believes the rice might have upset his stomach. He is prescribed a bland diet for the next few days. Thank you for your help!