Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate a tube of yeast infection medication. Layla, 3

My dog ate a tube...
My dog ate a tube of yeast infection medication
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Layla, 3 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Layla?
Customer: She's a 110 pound Newfoundland.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/14/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did she have this?

Did she eat the tube or cap?

What was the active ingredient?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We think in the middle of the night to early this morning, within the last 8 hours
She ate the entire plastic tube applicator and the active ingredient tablet cream which is: miconzaole nitrate 200mg

Hello again,

Now the Miconazole is only likely to cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) if any issue, but it is the tube that is a bigger concern here as a blockage risk. Therefore, as we are past a point where we can induce vomiting, we'd need to take a supportive care and close monitoring approach to this situation. To start, we will want to feed small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push this through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut.

Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her . Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs, then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care since the tube itself may cause issue for Layla. Still if she is not showing any signs, then you can consider the above steps for her while keeping a close eye. But if you see any of those other signs, then having her examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate whether there is any risk. But otherwise we'd hope to use the above to push this all through and out the other end over the next 48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian