Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I’m dog sitting and the dog is diabetic. He gets 24 units of

Nph twice daily but I...
I’m dog sitting and the dog is diabetic. He gets 24 units of Nph twice daily but I accidentally gave him 28 units. Help
10/14/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this is a serious situation. Too much insulin won't instantly cause issues but at peak effect (4-8 hours later) it can reduce the blood sugar too low. And if that happens, we can see wobbliness, weakness, collapse, and even seizures. Therefore, you will need to keep a very close eye on Milo today. We need to be offering food through the day to keep his blood sugar up. If you monitor his glucose with a glucometer for the owner, then we'd want to keep an eye every hour during that peak effect time frame. Any drop or if he has any weakness or lethargy and we can try rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into him and help counter the insulin. Of course, any of those more severe signs or if you want to be safe, then he can be hospitalized at the local vet for IV fluids with dextrose to again counter the overdose as its runs its course and any avoid risk of a blood sugar crash. Of course, once he is due for his next dose, the regular one can be given as usual.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian