Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I woke up to find my 65lb black Mouth Cur had gotten a pack…

Customer Question
Hi, I woke up to...
Hi, I woke up to find my 65lb black Mouth Cur had gotten a pack of my boyfriend's camel blues cigarettes. There's no real evidence that she ate any. But I'm a little alarmed. According to him and the number he believes should be in the pack and the number I recovered, the most she could have eaten was 3. I'm not sure how long ago this happened but she appears to be acting normal.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/14/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How many hours ago would you estimate she may have gotten into these?

I have no idea we were all asleep.

Hello again,

Now that is a shame we don't have any idea of when she could have had these (even a ball park) as we cannot gauge risk of signs or when they will appear. And I have to say that cigarettes are quite a worry as they do have some seriously nasty ingredients that can cause harm. Specifically, we can see them develop GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, appetite loss), lethargy, wobbliness, changes in their breathing and heart rates. As well, in severe cases, we can even see tremors, seizures, and collapse. So, even if she had 3 there is possible risk here.

Now since she is well in herself just now (which could mean we are in the early stage of ingestion and can intervene) and you think she did have them, you can induce vomiting now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively (if you don't think Ellie would), you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any nausea, we can also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But of course any of those other signs in the next 48 hours and we' d need her seen for fluids to flush these out and avoid any harm.,

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok, we're going to try the activated charcoal but all we have is the natures way 280mg tablets. Should I give her a few?/ how many?

Hi again,

If you are using the low dose (milligrams) version, be prepared to crush a bunch of these to add to food (or mix with water to syringe) as she will need 232 tablets at that strength for a 1g/lb dose. Else you can ring the local vet to see if they can dispense the powder version for you.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Aaah okay. What about the mother Hubbard charcoal cookies? Will those be better/ do anything?

There usually isn't much in the cookies, so they would be fine for gas reduction but doubtful to hold a dose for toxin binding (which is why the dose is high).

Dr. B.

Would she definitely show symptoms? At this point if she did eat any and if she ate them when I found her it's been about an hour and 45 min. But she'S acting totally normal, breathing normal, heart rate normal. We're not sure she even ate any... we didn't find any residue. Just the uneaten ones that fell out of the pack. This is so nerve wrecking I don't want to cause her undue stress if it's nothing but I'm so nervous
She is very smart and seems to often play with but not eat things when she gets ahold of them

Hi again,

I share your frustration with this and its one of those moments it'd be great if she could tell us if she had them and when. Since she cannot do so, we are a bit stuck, have to assume the worst to be safe, and just cannot be sure unless we see signs. And if she genuinely ate three of them, then we'd likely see signs within a few (2-6)hours afterwards and it could peak up to 12 hours afterwards. So, we are in that time frame where we just cannot be sure and thus need to err on the side of caution to avoid any issue if she did eat them.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ellie. How is everything going?

Dr. B.