Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

12-year-old dog. Has a tumor on the base of her tail where…

12-year-old dog. Has a...

12-year-old dog. Has a tumor on the base of her tail where it meets the body. It’s about the size of a golf ball. It seems to be bothering her so that she is trying to chew at it and I’m worried that it might rupture. My question is can I give her Norco which is acetaminophen and hydrocodone to relieve some of her pain. She is a fairly aggressive dog that we have to sedate before she goes to the vets. At this stage in her life I am not prepared to spend thousands of dollars on Surgical removal. She is a well loved family dog about 70 pounds she’s half Doberman and half Belgian mala. Very hyper thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Nothing I can think of she does have several other mass tumors on her body that have developed over the past months and I think there’s all coming at once

10/14/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding your dog.

What is her name?

Just a moment while I formulate my response.

Her name is Moxie.

I'm sorry to hear that Moxie has a troubling mass. Unfortunately, acetaminophen products are toxic to dogs and I do NOT recommend giving that to Moxie.

Your veterinarian will have a safer pain medication option for her.

My best recommendation would be to have her evaluated by her vet (with sedation if necessary) to determine if surgery is an option (medically and financially). If not, then you and your veterinarian can work our a medication plan to keep Moxie comfortable and give her quality of life as long as possible.

Do tumors Rupture. It just appears that if you know it’s stretching the skin and I’m just afraid it would rupture and she would bleed.
She is still very active runs around the backyard nonstop in the fenced in area. It doesn’t seem to be bothering her during the day when she’s active but at night it seems like it may possibly hurt or bother her

It depends on the type of tumor. Some of them are cystic (fluid or pus filled) and may rupture if they grow large enough or are ulcerated on the surface. Other masses may grow to quite a large size and never rupture, but just stretch the skin. Any mass may ulcerate and have discharge if the dog chews/licks at them frequently.

You vet would be able to prescribe medication for her discomfort and also likely something to help her settle and rest at night.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Ok. Thank you So much. No other questions.

You are very welcome. I wish you both all the best.

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian