Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is on 25 Gramms of a steroid for a growth on his

Hi my dog is on...
Hi my dog is on 25 Gramms of a steroid for a growth on his nose. Can I increase the dose as he is struggling to breath tonight?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tommy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tommy?
Customer: I don't think so. Tommy is 11 years old but the healthiest border collie you will meet
Are you there
10/14/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here.

How heavy is your dog and do we know what the mass is?

I really need an answer

Yes, but I need to know Tommy's weight so that I can determine the safety of increasing the dose.

Tommy is 26kg

Okay. You can increase the dosage to 37.5mg tonight.

I am worried that it is not going to help but it is worth a try.

What type of mass is it? Mast cell tumor? It is important to know what we are dealing with.

Paul

Sorry Dr Brazzell, it's difficult to say about the size of mass. It started as a large lump on the middle of his nose which did not worry him. Then a few weeks ago it moved to the side of his nose which is now affecting his breathing.

Understood. Well lets hope the increased steroids shrink it enough to let him breath easier.

Feel free to update me tomorrow :)

Paul

I honestly can't say what kind of tumor we have here. it shifted from the top of his nose to the side. We haven't had any invasive treatment done as they said, even if we could 'Name'it, they probably couldn't operate because of where it was???
Hi Paul. Can I increase his dose from 25gms?

Not a problem. It was more for me so that I could better help you.

Yes, increase the dose to 37.5mg :)

Keep me posted please.

Paul

How long can he be on that higher does and how do I increase that extra dose. Do I increase his two times a day?

I would only do it for a few days. That will be a pretty high dose.

Are you giving 25mg tabs? If so then 1 1/2 tabs. Twice daily yes.

Sorry meant to say. Do I split the higher does into his normal dose (x2) and if he really struggles to breath (as he is now) Can I give him extra now. If so, how much?

If you were giving 25mg twice daily then you would now be giving 37.5mg twice daily.

Ok thank you. He seems settled at the moment which is great. I will be in touch tomorrow if we need to chat further.

Welcome

Great and

Sounds good :)

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian