Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

In the last few weeks, when my dog os eating, he eats as if…

In the last few...

In the last few weeks, when my dog os eating, he eats as if he haseanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth. It takes him much longer to eat than usual. He is still very active and playful. He also has tecently been into excessively licking family memners.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

How comcerned should i be? He is a one year old Keeshond.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

He doesnt seem to hurt. Ive looked on his mouth as nest i could and did not see any sores. He still chews on bones and plays with tug ropes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

A significant family member died 2 months ago. I assume dogs mourn.

10/12/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Yes, dogs do mourn; sometimes harder than us. That licking can be a coping mechanism for anxiety. He seems to be acting normal otherwise, so it isn't an immediate concern, but I would consider having your vet check his mouth out just in case. I would want to make sure there aren't any dental issues you may have a difficult time seeing, any type of foreign body in the mouth, a problem with swallowing or even a problem with his jaw. It may be nothing, but that eating pattern could be something that requires treatment. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian