Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 11 month old puppy lab may have a hot spot. it is on her

Customer Question
hi my 11 month old...
hi my 11 month old puppy lab may have a hot spot. it is on her front leg on top of the little rounded bone where her paw joint is on the inside. (medial maleolus to a human). There is an open reddish wound there and the bump is about the size of a blueberry. It doesn't look infected. Looks like a raspberry scrape you may have had when you are a kid. It doesn't seem to bother her walking or running around. Occasionally I will catch her liking it. Does that sound like a hot spot to you and if so how can I best treat it. I would prefer something natural and try to avoid a vet bill. Thanks, Elise
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No. I noticed it bleeding a little after she came home from playing with a puppy on Sunday. Thought it may have been a bite and cleaned it well but I guess my daughter noticed a little reddness there before the dog plydate
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Aspen
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Aspen?
Customer: like what? She is allergic to bee stings
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 2 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there, I am Dr. Christensen. I am reviewing your question about Aspen. It will just take a moment.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 2 months ago

What you are describing could very will be a hot spot (medical name: acute moist dermatitis). However, it is difficult to say without seeing it directly. Hot spots are typically flat lesions (no bump) that are red and moist. They are usually treated by shaving the area so the lesion can get some air and then with topical antibiotics. I always recommend an e-collar (the cone of shame) because as long as they are chewing at it, it won't heal up. Other things that could be going on would be self trauma (lick granuloma). This happens when the pup is continuously licking or chewing at a spot, often due to underlying itching or pain. In these cases topical antibiotics and an e-collar are still recommended, however the underlying issue needs to be addressed or they will continue to irritate that area. If the lesion does not resolve with home care, you may want a veterinarian to look at it. They will be able to do some tests to determine what type of lesion it is.

I hope that was helpful. If you have a moment, I would greatly appreciate it if you would rate my service. And, please let me know if you have any other questions. Wishing Aspen a speedy recover.

Dog Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi there! This is Dr. Christensen. I just wanted to follow up and see how Aspen's wound was doing. Is it resolving? Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen