Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 12 year old cockapoo. She has a great personality…

Customer Question
I have a 12...

I have a 12 year old cockapoo. She has a great personality but she is always itching and has taken off skin on her body. She had chronic ear infections, and then I took her for surgery for her ears. I suspect that it is all due to allergies. You do not know how much money I have spent and how many products I have tried that have not worked including steroids, other drugs, shampoos. As an owner, I am tired of this. What can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Maxie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maxie?

She is a 12 year old cockapoo.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Also, the smell is very horrible and embarrassing
10/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that your question was not picked up sooner.

It sounds like the dog has allergies which is often the reason for constant scratching and a yeast smell to the body. You did not mention that you used Apoquel and if not I would talk to your Vet about this. This can stop the itch within days.

You also did not mention adding coconut oil to the daily food for the skin and coat. this can sometimes help with allergies and the smell.

Coconut oil guide https://www.sitstay.com/blogs/good-dog-blog/37662913-coconut-oil-for-dogs-the-ultimate-guide

If there is a problem with the ears smelling or redness I would always keep Zymox on hand as this takes care of bacterial, yeast and fungus in the ears. zymox https://www.chewy.com/zymox-ear-solution-5-hydrocortisone/dp/125735

A mixture of 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle can also help with the yeast smell of the feet and body. I will often dip my dog's paw in the mixture to get in between the pads. Be sure the hair is short between the pads. Dry well.

It is likely you will not be able to get rid of the smell completely because there are some times of years where allergies are particularly high, but the above will help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant