Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs nail (thumb nail) is sideways. Coco, 2.5 years. She…

Customer Question
My dogs nail (thumb...

My dogs nail (thumb nail) is sideways

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Coco, 2.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

No, she has been licking the nail for 1 week, but walking fine

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Please put a sock on the foot to limit the licking because licking introduces oral bacteria and after a week this likely is infected. If the nail is sideways it means that it has detached from the quick. Licking in and of itself indicates it is painful and since it is not a weight bearing toe I am not surprised she is not lame on this leg

Ideally your veterinarian needs to pull the nail and it is not recommended attempting this at home. It can be quite painful, cause a lot of bleeding, and sometimes dogs will snap while pulling with hemostats. It should always be done with two sets of hands

You can also give benadryl (diphenhydramine) 1 mg per pound every 6-8 hours to help with the itchiness and desire to lick and allow resting comfortably until you can see your veterinarian

If you have any remaining pain medications from any previous surgeries that would be alright to give to help with pain. I would not advise anything over the counter because it will interact with what your veterinarian might dispense for pain

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additi

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope that Coco's nail is stable

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman