Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a 2 yr old IF Lab who is HW and Lyme disease

Customer Question
positive, and may be in...
We have a 2 yr old IF Lab who is HW and Lyme disease positive, and may be in early pregnancy. Do we treat her for against Lyme disease nephritis and spay her, or just wait it out and risk possible chronic fatal renal disease?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 2 year old Labrador dog
JA: OK. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tess
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tess?
Customer: She is non clinical for both diseases
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If Tess doesn't show evidence of a Lyme nephropathy in her blood/urine tests nor the fever or lameness of Lyme there would be no reason to treat her at all. A Lyme positive only tells me that Tess had been exposed to Borrelia burgdorferi - the bacteria that causes Lyme disease - not that she's actively infected. Can you upload a copy of all of Tess's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I not only review the test results but also note which tests should have been performed but weren't.

She is a rescue dog; I am her foster and was only given the lab results verbally. There is no "veterinarian " per se, hense my questions to you. I am trying to proceed along the path of least risk for all. I have only had her for one werk. She can be infected without signs of lameness, and could pass that along to pups if she gives birth.

I understand. Yes, maternal transmission does occur in dogs. I recommend spaying her at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

is it your opinion that being an asyptomatic heartworm positive dog is not a disqualifying risk for spay surgery in this case?

Correct, but I would X-ray Tess's thorax (chest) and perform a pre-op diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests to better understand the degree of pathology the heartworms and Borrelia may have caused before anesthetizing her. This is standard of care in any event.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian