Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog won’t stop licking her paws. They’ve become very pink…

My dog won’t stop licking...
My dog won’t stop licking her paws. They’ve become very pink and raw. It looks like she has an open blister or her pad is peeling. There’s no bleeding. How do I help relieve the itch? Does this warrant a vet visit?
10/11/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is it 1 paw or all 4?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

This has been going on for about two weeks. Normally right after she gets in from a walk. Lately it’s gotten worse and when I checked out her paw, I noticed the blister. I’m sending a photo - if you can see it.It’s only one paw.She weighs 50 lbs.No medical conditions that I’m aware of.
In the photo, near the blister, the web of her feet looks a bit swollen too. It’s worrying me.

Thank you for the picture, I can see the blister but not very well. Is the blister hard?

Is she itchy or licking all 4 paws or just 1?

I sent another photo at hopefully a better angle but I think the website takes from the quality.She only licks and chews at the one paw in the photo. The blister doesn’t seem any more hard than the rest of her pad. I think it’s itchy for her and I don’t allow her to lick it if I catch her.

Thank you, ***** ***** me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Jennah, you are right we do lose quality in the picture. It appears that the blister is what we call hyperkeratosis. This is an overproduction of keratin in the foot pads which can be caused by many different causes like infections, autoimmune, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your vet for a hands-on examination. In the meantime, it is important that you stop her from licking. Pick up an e-collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking. Once your vet examines closely the pad if they confirm hyperkeratosis they may consider filling or surgically reducing the blister and they will dispense prescription topical medication.

If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you, ***** ***** it. I will be taking her in tomorrow.

Fantastic, please keep me posted with their findings. Thank you.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian