Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Heart disease...he was seen about a month and a half ago.

Customer Question
Heart disease...he was seen...

Heart disease...he was seen about a month and a half ago. He's been losing a lot of weight and I see him wilting away as each day goes on. How do I know when it's time to lay him to rest? I'm not sure how much he's suffering

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Buddy and he's 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?

His abdomen is swollen and his rectum is pretruting to the point he goes without knowing. He is still able to walk and go outside to eliminate but cannot hold it. His eating isn't what it used to be. He absolutely loves food. I find him walking away or hesitating to eat more often. Now I stand by and make sure he's eating. He lost so much weight. He's skin and bones. His breathing is more labored and is often restless at night. I'm confused on when the right time is. He's anxious all the time and trembles a lot. He's always had anxiety but I feel like it's gotten worse.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you both today and that your senior friend Buddy is declining

I can give you some handouts to help with this terrible decision. Often we look at quality of life as whether they are still doing any of their favorite things, whether it be a favorite toy or treat, sitting with you while on the couch, barking at the neighbors to name a few. In addition, do they still have the "light" in their eyes, meaning are they still responsive to their environment and you or are they dull, listless, and fading away?

Quality of life assessment handout: http://www.peacefulpetdepartures.com/quality-of-life-assessment/

Pain assessment handout: http://www.vasg.org/pdfs/CSU_Acute_Pain_Scale_Canine.pdf

I know this is a terribly difficult decision to make and I hope this information is helpful. Some areas in the country do have hospice care that can help guide you in this decision making process. There is a list of options below for you to review:

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/diagnostic-and-support/argus/pet-hospice/Pages/pet-hospice-resources.aspx

Please let me know anything I can do to assist you both in this difficult decision. Any questions or concerns I can assist with to clarify how to make this decision please don't hesitate to ask and please disregard any automated follow up questions by the site

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

I am relieved to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope they were helpful in your process with Buddy

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you ...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman