Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10 year old was prescribed rimadyl for inflammation of

Customer Question
spinal cord. She suffered a...
My 10 year old was prescribed rimadyl for inflammation of spinal cord. She suffered a spinal cord embolism 3 months ago but since had fully recovered. Yesterday she stopped walking I could tell she was in pain...I think she jumped off couch and hurt her back. My question is after giving rimadyl is all she wants to do is sleep and she won't eat or drink. Can this drug be life threatening after only one dosage
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog...she's part ***** ***** miniature pincher...I rescued her last year from humane society and don't know much of history
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mia
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mia?
Customer: They are the ones that I took her to after I rescued her and also who diagnosed her spinal cord strokr
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you both today. Unfortunately one dose of rimadyl can be quite problematic in some dogs ut the question for me is more about whether Mia's back pain is causing her lethargy and reduced appetite which would be more likely.

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite, likely some bloodwork as well to ensure the rimadyl is not the cause versus back discomfort. Your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope your Mia is feeling better tonight

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian