Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He dribbles urine constantly, is there anything I can do.

Customer Question
He dribbles urine constantly...

He dribbles urine constantly, is there anything I can do

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog,

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

He's always dribbling urine

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He's not hurt, he has a constant dribble of urine

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Taco, 6 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Taco?

Nnot that I am aware of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

Dribbling urine can be a symptom of a urinary tract infection. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3.

It may also be that he is starting with incontinence. If this is the case, there are medications that your vet can prescribe to help with the problem if it gets to be more of an issue. You can read about this here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/urinary-incontinence.pml

There is a product called a belly band that helps with this issue in a male dog. You can see these here:

https://www.bellybands.net/

Now if your dog is a long backed breed like a dachshund or chihuahua, then a disc issue can cause a dog to lose sensation in the rear and lose control of their bladder leading to incontinence. This can be due to an injury or degenerative disease like IVDD. Read about disc issues here:

An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-cervical-area-in-dogs/

If it is a disc issue, your vet may recommend an antiinflammatory medication for a week or so. If he does, please keep your dog as inactive as possible for at least a week to give the injury time to heal. This mean crating except for leashed walks to allow him to eliminate.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner