Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Older dog, being treated for lymphoma with chemo, seems to…

Customer Question
Older dog, being treated...

Older dog, being treated for lymphoma with chemo, seems to be heading into remission. but he licks his penis, often. just jumped up from his bed, moved to another bed in another room and started licking....has been doing it often for a few weeks anyway

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Joey, at least 12 years old, possibly older.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joey?

He has older dog joint problems. other than chemo, i give him some pepcid each day (1/4 tablet three times) and trying to give him liquid compounded gabapentin for joint pain but not very successful.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/10/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you seeing any discharge from the prepuce or penis?

Is Joey neutered?

Is he on any joint supplement at this time?

Any urinary concerns such as blood in the urine or accidents in the house?

Neutered, no discharge. no blood in the urine and not on any joint supplements. Surprising able to hold it for a long time for a dog his age. Thank you.

If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. I would also discuss adding an NSAID with your vet and possibly changing the dosage of the gabapentin if he's not greatly benefiting.

As far as the licking of the penis, it would be wise to have the prepuce, penis and urine checked by your vet to ensure that there is no potential of this being a symptom of a urinary tract infection. If he's focused on his genitals and neutered, there stands a high potential that this may be a UTI. Depending on what they find, if anything, will determine the course of treatment which will likely involve a course of antibiotics. I would give strong consideration to using an e-collar if this is a constant problem with him, as well, so that he does not worsen symptoms but I would only use it in conjunction with an examination from your vet along with diagnostics.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?