Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 month old cockapoo just ate a chunk of onion that fell…

My 5 month old...

My 5 month old cockapoo just ate a chunk of onion that fell on the floor, I gave her some fluid in a syringe and activated charcoal in some food and water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Cockapoo will be able to digest that. What is the Cockapoo's name?

LillyMay

10/9/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand your concern because onions are toxic for dogs, but the toxicity is dose dependent, meaning it is based upon the amount eaten per pound of body weight.

How much does LillyMay weigh?

How long ago did this occur?

How much do you believe she ingested?

Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?

Onions and garlic can be toxic for dogs because they cannot digest them properly leading to nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and cramping, red blood cell damage, anemia and secondary organ damage.

As I said the toxicity is dose dependent however. That means that a dog must eat a certain amount of onions per pound of body weight to see signs of toxicity. They must eat 0.5% of their body weight of onions in order to see toxic effects.

Since I have not heard back from you I will do some calculations based upon a usual Cock-a-Poo sized dog.

For example in a 15 pound dog that is pounds (15lbs X 0.005 = 0.075 pounds) or 1.2 ounces (16 ounces X 0.075pounds = 1.2 ounces) of onions.

For reference a medium onion is about 6 ounces, so she would need to eat roughly 1/5th of medium sized onion if she weighs 15 pounds.

If you believe she may have eaten enough to cause toxicity based upon her weight and the amount she ate when is the last time that the onions were eaten?

If it has been more than a couple hours it is too late for us to do much for her at home.

Activated charcoal will bind drug or chemical toxins, but it must be given within a period of time in order to work. And it must be given in sufficient amounts. You need to give her 1 GRAM per pound of body weight or 15GRAMS (not milligrams) for a 15 pound dog. Most activated charcoal capsules/tablets are milligram sizes, commonly 250mgs. That means she would need four of the 250mg size for each pound of body weight to be of any help. It is rarely possible to give enough of those capsules because they need to take so many.

But if she ate a toxic amount and she just ate the onions, within the past two hours, it is best to induce vomiting.

Give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked with some bread chunks or mixed with some ice cream. (DO NOT give more than 3 tablespoons per dose even if she weighs more than 35 pounds)

The take her outside and run her around.

If no vomiting in 15 minutes repeat the peroxide dose, ONCE.

If she vomits all of the onions she should be fine.

If you don't have peroxide and are concerned that she ate a toxic amount then an emergency clinic visit to induce vomiting is best.

It can take a few days for symptoms to fully manifest.

Once clinical signs develop, supportive care including intravenous fluids (to keep her hydrated) and oxygen therapy are the main forms of treatment. Some dogs may require a blood transfusion if their red blood cells are damaged enough.

The outlook for onion toxicity is good with early treatment but “guarded” in severe cases or in dogs that are not treated by a veterinarian.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

She weighs about 7 lbs. I just gave her a half tbsp with bread and she threw up a large amount t of e erythropoietin g I have her treats with activated charcoal and little bits of onion. I’m hoping that’s all of it. Should I do it again?

If she retched until she was dry heaving or just mucous was coming up then that should be enough.

I'm not sure what this part of your response means? ".... t of e erythropoietin g....."

It sounds like from the rest of your response that she vomited the treats, onion and activated charcoal, is that correct?

If she vomits the onions then they cannot cause toxicity.

To settle her stomach now you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 7-20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach.

that she thru up the activated charcoal and treats but not till dry or just mucus. Lots of wet stuff. Probably because I gave her water thru a syringe right after she ate it. I hope it wasn’t too late! I did the peroxide an hour after eating the onion!
I’ll keep an eye on her now and hope for the best. Unless there’s anything else you think I should know.
Thanx!

If you induced vomiting within an hour and she vomited the treats, charcoal, and chunks of onion then I think she should be fine. The stomach takes about two hours to empty so you were within an acceptable time frame.

I do think you should watch her, and I would give her a dose of one of the acid reducers I recommended, but I think you got to her soon enough and she should be fine.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara