Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I give my dogs marrow bones nearly every Sunday as a treat.

Customer Question
I give my dogs...

I give my dogs marrow bones nearly every Sunday as a treat. My 3 year old Golden Retreiver has the "runs" and threw up some yellowy bile this morning. It's never bothered her before. Do you think the bone has any bearing on this ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I'm aware of. She did not eat her breakfast this morning, but she did have a few snacks. She's drinking quite a bit of water, which is a little unusual. But good I guess so she won't get dehydrated from the "runs"

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gracie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gracie?

No, she's a busy, happy and healthy 3 year old. (well not so much today)

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/9/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

The bone may have something to do with it. Sometimes these bones harbor salmonella or sometimes they just don't agree with the dog. Another possibility is that this shreds as chewed leaving particles in the intestines to build up and cause a blockage or they can cause a blockage if too big a piece is swallowed.

An obstruction would need surgery.

Yellow bile is an indiction of acid reflux which could be an indirect problem from eating bones every week. Meaning that the acid in the stomach is changing because dogs have not been groomed to eat such raw materials.

At this point you can fast him , she can have water then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice for the stomach upset and to allow the intestinal tract the time it needs to become less inflamed.

You can also add a few tablespoons of pure canned pumpkin to the diet to help firm up the stool.

If she does not get better in a day or so I would drop off a stool sample to the Vet for testing.

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant