Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

If sprayed by skunk in face (mouth, nose and eyes ) - is…

If sprayed by skunk in...
If sprayed by skunk in face (mouth, nose and eyes ) - is your dog in danger? We flushed face and gave bath immediately (I saw it happen) we used peroxide/ baking soda solution but not in eyes. Also washed that off. Saline drops to eyes and nose. Brushed teeth and gave a lot of water. Anything else we can do? Should we worry about complications?
This just happened within the hour. She is in her crate now - with fresh water and towels. She is a 65 lbs Kurdish shepherd around a year old.
10/9/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

You did all the right things, the chances are your dog will be just fine now, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. While the encounter with the skunk is unpleasant for both your dog and yourself it is usually not a dangerous situation, if the eyes or mouth are affected all you need to do is to very thoroughly irrigate them with luke warm water and repeat it an hour later, do this for five minutes at a time. If in doubt with the eyes if things are not improving then have an ER vet check things over, but really this is rarely necessary

2. Of course once you have dealt with the eyes and mouth you will have the smell to contend with. There are a number of remedies to get rid of the smell both commercial and home remedies, probably none of them are 100% effective but here are some tips :

A. Wash your dog as soon as possible after the skunk spray so that nothing dries into her coat.

2. Shower your dog in some way and rinse her really well, do not bath her as the smell will be in the bath water but the shower will eliminate it more quickly.

3. Use Dawn Dish Soap or other soap and let it soak in for 30 minutes but keep her coat moist, rinse your dog really well and repeat the process twice. { Dawn seems to be best }

3. Finally then use a commercial odour eliminator designed for this purpose if you have one available or you can buy one at a vet or good pet store in your area tomorrow.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you - I used a drop of Peppermint essential oil/ water and an old toothebrush ... I feel so bad about the odor coming from her mouth and nose. Is that normal to last ? She is asleep in her cage now. We washed her off a lot and repeated . We however didn’t repeat after the hour with flushing her face. Do you think her eyes, nose and mouth are terribly Uncomfortable or in pain?

If she is asleep in her cage at the moment then this is very encouraging, the chances that she is not now experiencing any discomfort, that phase will have passed. Sadly you cannot say the same about the smell from her mouth nose and elsewhere, whatever you do this is likely to linger for a couple of days yet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Thank you sir, I will.

.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?