Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is drinking a lot more water and is urinating in the…

Customer Question
My dog is drinking...

My dog is drinking a lot more water and is urinating in the house 3 hours before he is usually walked in the evening

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No , I have not

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?

Dalton , 4-5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dalton?

There is a patch of darker, more wiry hair on his back, it has been growing steadily over the last 10 days or so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
This has happened two days in a row, and he urinated once in the house each day. The urine seems to be very clear, and little to no odor. This only happened once before back in July. Back then he urinated in the house once and seemed to be urinating more heavily on his walks over the course of several days. We thought in July it might have been related to salt/sodium from people food we gave him.
10/8/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Could he have eaten something harmful (ie grapes, raisins, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Any belly discomfort?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

he did a couple of grapes a 2-3 weeks ago.

Oh no,

That is not good news. To see increased thirst and urination that is watery/dilute rings alarm bells of issues involving kidney function. It is possible to see this with bladder or kidney infections but more often with the diluting it is because of damage --which both grapes and raisins are capable of. Of course, we can also see this with diabetes, liver or heart disease and some hormonal issues but Dalton's age makes those less likely. And I'd note that he'd have had to had a lot of salt to cause anything like this and signs would not have been delayed like this.

In this case, we'd want to get him seen as soon as we can. We need his vet to test bloods +/- urine to confirm his kidney function post grape. Depending on their findings, he may need fluids and may need medication to help improve kidney function. And if they have only been damaged, then he may regain normal function but otherwise I do have to warn you that he may not do so and have to be on medication to help him. But again we are best to have him seen as soon as we can given our worries here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**