Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog ate 10 chicken bone wings yesterday from the trash.

When I got home last...
My dog ate 10 chicken bone wings yesterday from the trash. When I got home last night he pooped twice and there were shards of bone in the poop. This morning I took him out and he pooped 3 times and the fourth time he could not push anything out. When he tried to poop again he yelped. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's eight years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oscar?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/8/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry Oscar got himself into trouble! I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with his digestive tract but he maybe straining with a bone within the distal rectum or he also might be having colonic spasms resulting in pushing without production (or only dripping). This can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken in small more frequent meals which are bland yet bulking and can hopefully help push out any residual bone pieces
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle the stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools
- Water in moderation, to help lubricate the gi tract
- Leash walks, 15+ minutes 2-3 times daily to increase gi motility and hopefully push any residual bone pieces out of the gut

If there develops any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Where can I find pepcid and omeprazole?

They are human antacids/ H2 blockers to settle the stomach available at your local pharmacy or grocery store over the counter

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

One more thing please. What's the likeliness that he would have to have surgery?

There is unfortunately no way to answer that. Luckily chicken bones are very readily digestible and likely he is having gi upset from them. He may require the veterinarian to take an x-ray to see what's going on in the distal colon with potential enema (please do NOT try this at home) but bird bones are very hollow and should pass with a little encouragement

Ok. Thank you so much. You were very helpful and informative. Enjoy the rest of your day!

You as well :)
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Hi Dr. Altman,
Oscar has finally been able to poop and there was blood in his stool and there was quite a few bone fragments. Do you think that if I monitor his progression the rest of the night that I can take him to the vet tomorrow instead?

If he is doing well otherwise yes that sounds like a good plan but if he becomes lethargic, pale gums, restless, vomiting then please consider having him seen tonight

Ok. Thank you so much.
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian