Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 12 yr old female has DM and has not been able to keep…

Hi,. ,my 12 yr...

Hi,. ,my 12 yr old female has DM and has not been able to keep boiled chicken and rice down since fri night. Her temp was then 105+ which I got down with wet cloths on paws and around ears. I hadn't checked it since because she didn't feel hot and was more active. She ate chicken only about 11pm (3 hrs ago ) and just threw it up with alot of mucous. (same as other times, no blood) Temp is 105.3 now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Foxy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Foxy?

She has no spleen, was removed in april 2017 she is drinking water

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
she weighs about 40 pounds
10/8/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does her vomit look like? Just food and mucus?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

probably didn't eat anything harmful. vomit is mostly clear and thick fluid.with food, She drinks most of the time and I only see her vomit when I give her food. Her belly is firm but does not show pain. Gums....are lighter than usual.
white/pale
I just notice, it looks like she has had diarrhea at some time, her tail and hind have fecal matter on them I have another dog who eats the same thing as she does, he is ok
I think we can continue without a phone call right now.

Hello again,

That is fine, disregard the site's auto offer as I am typing my reply.

Dr. B.

Now we need to tread with care here for Foxy. As you will be aware, diabetics are delicate and cannot afford to be unable to eat properly for long. Furthermore, that paling of her gums is a bit of a worry, as not only do we have to consider that these signs are secondary to pancreatitis (common in diabetics), bacterial or viral gastroenteritis (a top worry with her fever), or dietary indiscretions; but also have to be wary of anything that could cause gut bleeding or circulatory issues (ie ulcers, blockages, etc. -- which don't usually cause fever unless there is a perforation of the GI leading to bacteria getting into the abdomen)

With this all in mind, it would be ideal to have her seen as soon as possible. Especially with the extent of her fever. That way we can make sure we don't have those more serious issues for her but also can get her onto antibiotics and injectable anti-nausea medication ASAP. Any delay and we can at least we can try some home supportive care to try to settle her stomach. To start, you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac))]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, you can try the bland diet again but just offer it by the spoonful with 30 minute breaks. If she keeps it down we can slowly wean that up for her as needed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, I am concerned about Foxy in this situation. The fever suggests infection but the paling means we have to be worried about possible gut damage or circulation issues. So, we are best to have her seen as soon as possible Any delay and we can start supportive care to settle her stomach but once she is seen we want her on injectable anti-vomiting medication, antibiotics +/- gastroprotectants and fluids to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you. I would like to clarify. She is not diabetic, she has Degenerative myelopathy. middle stage....But I think all you have said applies anyway.
I don't have anything but tums . is that ok to give

You are very welcome,

My apologies, DM is also the shorthand used for both conditions and given her vomiting, my brain jumped to that.

Anyway, all the same applies and if you have Tums we can use that at a dose 60-120mg every 8-12 hours.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

she is shivering now. I am taking her to the emergency vet.
Thank you.

Hello again,

As shivering can be a sign they feel unwell or secondary to fever, that is ideal especially with those paler gums and her high fever.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

thanks

You are very welcome,

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Hello, thank you for checking back. She is doing well. Her temp is normal, she has begun eating as of yesterday. I ended up taking her to emergency but it was going to be $1000 just to see what was the problem and if she had to stay til Monday.I couldn't pay that much so I took her home. Gave her the pepcid and did what I could to lower her fever some. Monday I took her to my regular vet who treated the symptoms and she responded well to to it. I will continue to give her a pepcid a day till she gets her appetite back. Under the circumstances, she is at least in the middle if not past the middle stage of Degenerative Myelopathy and I know her time is short but I will do what I can to make her happy and be ready when the time comes to say goodbye. It hasn't been a month since I lost her soul mate.Again thank you for your help and for being available through the web. It was good to hear from a real Vet rather than some unprofessional blog.

Good afternoon,

I am glad to hear that she ahs responded to treatment and hopefully will remain stable with her degenerative myelopathy for at least some time to come.

And I am glad I could be of aid to you both. :)

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian