Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has something that looks like a hot spot on her leg.

My dog has something...

My dog has something that looks like a hot spot on her leg. I put Furazone on it and wrapped it. Is it safe?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

She’s 4 her name is jewels

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jewels?

No this is the first time for hot spot

10/8/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry to hear your dog has a hot spot! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is any discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted. To answer your question there are some furazone topicals approved for use in pets. If used in larger amounts though it can cause issues with kidney function

1.) No licking or scratching! If this area is reachable then please put a cone on to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking or scratching introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Trim the hair around the hot spot but please minimize the use of scissors near the skin risking possibly cutting the skin

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments or wrap the wound because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time, especially in hot spots. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch but may initially cause mild sedation

7.) If this is a hot spot then you can use Dom Boro which is available at your local pharmacy over the counter. It is a tablet or salt form that is mixed with water then a towel is placed in the mixture and applied to the area 10 minutes before wiping off and before shampoo. CLICK HERE for more information on hot spots in dogs

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I have already put Furazone on it and wrapped it. She is not licking or biting at it now. Is Furazone ok to use on my dog?

As I said there are some formulas that have been approved for dogs in small amounts but if applied in more frequent larger volumes it can cause kidney changes. I would remove the bandage in the morning and scrub the area and hopefully leave the bandage off at that time

It is safe in small amounts since there are some formulas approved in dogs

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thank you!