Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm waiting for my dogs Rimadyl Rx to arrive--is there an…

Customer Question
Hello, I'm waiting for my dogs...
I'm waiting for my dogs Rimadyl Rx to arrive--is there an OTC alternative that i can i can give him for the next 1-2 days?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Angel, unfortunately, there is no equivalent to Rimadyl over the counter, I am sorry. In addition, most of the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory over the counter are toxic to dogs and you should not start him on it. In addition, if you do give him an over the counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory you will need to wait several days for the medication to wash out of the body before re-starting Rimadyl. The only option is calling your family veterinarian to see if they can dispense a few days worth of Rimadyl until you receive your Rimadyl in the mail. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian