Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog's foot / paw is raw in between the pads and she is…

My dog's foot /...

My dog's foot / paw is raw in between the pads and she is limping. Last fall it happened as well and get said keep dry but this year seems worse

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I just looked, no visible wound just seems raw

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Bailey, boxer American bulldog mix, age 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?

No she is up to date on all shots, happy and healthy

10/7/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Bailey's paw is raw between the pads. This happened last year as well. Can you please tell me if Bailey is excessively licking / chewing the feet?

Hello, she does not lick her paw. It gets damp in my yard but I have been using a towel to dry her paw when she comes in

Thank you for that information. If she is not excessively licking her feet then that likely rules out one possible cause for this, which would be environmental allergies. If the paw is getting inflamed without her licking excessively then the underlying cause would likely be from a contact sensitivity, abnormal wear, or from trauma. If this occurred in the same spot last year then a contact sensitivity or abnormal wear would be more likely. The probability of a traumatic event occurring in the same place is unlikely.

A contact sensitivity is slightly different than an allergy, but it functionally works the same way. Touching a surface can result in a localized skin reaction that is similar to an allergy. Grass and synthetic fabrics are common sources. If this is the case then treatment with an antihistamine like Benadryl or Claritin would be an appropriate treatment to start with. You may want to also consider a foot bath with a medicated shampoo or even Epsom salts. Abnormal wear can occur when dogs are highly active and walking/running excessively. This can create a sore spot on the underside of the foot. Treatment is with rest and an anti-inflammatory medication if needed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

How much benadryl do I give

50 mg is the maximum dose of Benadryl for Bailey's size. 10 mg for Claritin. Benadryl may cause cause lethargy, but it is otherwise safe to give. Claritin is non drowsy.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian