Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Floppy eared longed hair dachshund mix w/ swelling in ear…

Floppy eared longed hair...

Floppy eared longed hair dachshund mix w/ swelling in ear flaps, soft/squishy to touch, hot to touch, reddish appearance, yellowish/crusty discharge on both inner/other ear

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Roxie, 2.5 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxie?

No, very healthy, regular vet visits/grooming visits, all shots

10/7/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your pup Roxie has swollen, red ear flaps and a yellowish, crusty discharge present on the flaps and in the ear canal.

Roxie may have an ear infection.

Of course the ideal situation is to see her veterinarian and have her ear debris tested to see what sort of infection she has to get him on the right medication, but I understand that may not be possible given it is the weekend.

In the meantime there are some things that we can do to try to help her feel more comfortable.

Since most ear infections are secondary to allergies and the inflammation they cause you can use a combination of antihistamines and high doses of omega-3 fatty acids to help with those. In combination fatty acids and antihistamines work synergistically, much better than either one alone.

You can try:

1)Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic) at 1mg to 2mg per pound or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours.

OR 2)Claritin (loratidine) at 5mg per 25 pounds of body weight once or twice daily.

OR 3)Hydroxyzine at 1mg per pound of body weight orally every 8 hours.

OR 4) Chlorpheniramine at 4mg to 8mg per dog once or twice daily.

OR 5) Zyrtec (Cetirizine hydrochloride) at 1/2 mg per pound of body weight orally every 24 hours. That would be one 10mg tablet per 20 pounds of body weight. Make sure it is NOT the formulation with a decongestant (such as Zyrtec-D) because dogs cannot tolerate decongestants.

Some dogs do better on one antihistamine rather than another. Give the one you pick a 3-5 day trial and if it isn't working try another. Be aware that antihistamines can cause sleepiness or hyperactivity in some dogs. These side effects do wear off with repeated use.

Omega-3 fatty acids are fish oil products. 3V by DVM or Derm Caps ES are good brand name products. Use the high end of the dosing schedule for your pup's weight. I recommend an omega 3 fatty acid dose based upon the EPA portion (eicosapentanoic acid) of the supplement as if we do that the rest of the supplement will be properly balanced. Give her 20mg of EPA per pound of body weight per day. For example an 8 pound dog could take 160mg of EPA per day.

I also recommend using a gentle ear cleaner like Oticlens daily now to remove as much of the waxy debris as possible. This removes excess wax and keeps the ear pH at levels that discourage infections. When the ear is sore many dogs won't let you squirt things in their ear but if you soak a cotton ball with the cleaner, then place it at the top of the ear canal and massage the ear from the outside, putting pressure on the soaked cotton ball, the cleaner will be instilled easily. Wipe out excess cleaner and waxy debris with dry cotton balls.

Once you have her infection treated and cleared use the cleaner twice a week as that helps prevent infections and also allows you to know what a normal ear looks like and catch ear infections very early.

Sometimes with an early infection simply cleaning the ear daily is enough to stop it in its tracks.

Since her ear skin surface is very red after cleaning you can apply a light coat of cortisone cream (like cortaid) to the ear skin with a cotton ball.

Do not clean her ear the day of her veterinary appointment so they can gather a sample of the wax for testing.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Ok, there is no inner ear wax or discharge, only on the ear flaps
Let me be more specific, discharge is on the the inner ear flap and outer ear flap

I see, so that may indicate an allergic reaction or outer ear/ear flap skin infection.

You can still use a gentle ear cleaner to clean the area scaly/crusty.

If the ears seem very itchy this can indicate a type of skin mite called a Sarcoptic mange mite. These mites are contagious to other mammals (dogs, cats, people, bunnies) and she should have a skin scraping done at her veterinarian on Monday.

An antihistamine and an omega 3 may help her feel less itchy too, and reduce the swelling. Because we are uncertain this isn't a mite I would not use cortisone.

Antibiotic cream?
Got it. Thank you.

I wouldn't. Those creams are useful to keep an infection out. Putting a cream on an open/raw skin surface that is already infected, without getting the area thoroughly cleaned, just seals in the bacteria.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I rated your service.

Thanks very much, please let me know if I can be of any further help.