Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's having term digestive problems. Upset stomach in the…

She's having long term...

She's having long term digestive problems. Upset stomach in the morning, refuses to eat, throws up sometimes, had mucousy bloody stools. Treated her with Worm X, and hae had blood, urine tests and ultra sound. She's been on a bland diet for 2 weeks, but still loose stools, and now walking with her butt low to the ground....another Worm X?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

We've been in regular communication with our vet about treatment -- he put her on flagyl and 2 Pepcid a day. She had 3 good days after I gave her the Worm X, now she's back to the above symptoms again

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/7/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry you all have been through so much and no one has assisted you yet today. Unfortunately if there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues

So that leaves you with a few options

1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial she cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies

2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.

3.) Unfortunately if the diarrhea does not change then the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Since you have already done an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout the next step is going to be endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery

4.) Lastly, there is a blood test to ensure the pancreas is not part of the problem and this is a specific test called a tli, folate, cobalamin level that is sent to a lab in Texas to rule out this condition

I have a food allergy dog and this can be quite a challenging situation. She is on the royal canin h/p formula longterm and whenever she gets anything else she breaks with loose stools :(

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Thank you very much! Some of these are options I've not heard before, so well worth looking into, and they make sense. Thanks again for your time, and we'll give these a try.

You are very welcome, there are many avenues to research so please don't give up hope!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman