Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Vomiting diahera cool body thinking parvo. The smell of it

Customer Question
made me sick. Need dosage...
Vomiting diahera cool body thinking parvo. The smell of it made me sick. Need dosage for 40 lb dog. Cephalexin. Have 8 n vet cost is rough. She is a pit bull that was emaciated and flea covered. 4 months ago. Was waiting to give shot until weight and other health problems. Help!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of. It is clear liquid from both ends. A lot of vomit
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sugah
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sugah?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

If she's vomiting, giving Cephalexin will not be worthwhile as she will bring up the medication when she vomits. I would work on stopping the vomiting first.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Is she passing any blood in her vomit or stool?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No blood. Extremely smelly (gag smell )liquid stool. Clear vomit. A neighbor suggested she may have eaten a frog or toad. We sure have plenty. She didn't vomit the last bit of water she drank just a little while ago. She now has a warm nose. Was cold n wet. Body no longer cold just warm.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now not drinking or come out of the cage. She won't even come out to pee

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications).

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

Please note: We do give antibiotics to animals with suspect parvo, but parvo is a virus and must run it's course. Cephalexin is not typically the antibiotic we use, though. If you elect to give this medication, do so after the vomiting has been addressed or you'll wind up having your companion vomit up the medication which will offer them no benefit. You can find the dosage for Cephalexin here if you still choose to go this route: https://www.1800petmeds.com/Cephalexin-prod10050.html

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Sugah today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse