Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is start to bleed i believe today is like her 3 day…

Customer Question
Hi my dog is...

Hi my dog is start to bleed i believe today is like her 3 day is she ready to made?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

She is with her period

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

We have a dog for her,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Yes she is in her period

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is your dog eating normally?

Yes she eat more I think, but her vulva is big and she is a little bit more higagresive

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. What is the dog's name?

Sugar

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sugar?

Well she has old the vaccination and last year the vet told me she is a good candidate, but I decided to wait after she has 2 years old.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If Sugar has just begun to bleed she's likely to be in the first stage of her heat cycle called proestrus. The average length of proestrus is 9 days with a range of 0-17 days. Male dogs will be attracted to her but she won't stand for breeding and often will tuck her tail under tightly, sit down, or turn on the male dog. The next stage of her heat cycle is called estrus and also has an average length of 9 days but a range of 3-21 days. In this stage she'll remain motionless as the male investigates her hindquarters, flag (deflection of the tail laterally), and there will be muscular elevation of the vulva. In other words, she'll "stand" for the male. Sugar's vet can perform a vaginal cytology looking for tell-tale signs of estrus so you'll know better when Sugar is ready to mate. I would have this done in 4-5 days and more than one cytology might be necessary. Assessing her serum progesterone and luteinizing hormone levels can be helpful in conjunction with vaginal cytology. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian