Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Older russel ate chicken bones and is extremly sick, can't

Customer Question
older jack russel ate chicken...
older jack russel ate chicken bones and is extremly sick, can't stand.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the jack will be able to digest that. What is the jack's name and age?
Customer: nemo 13yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the jack?
Customer: i live in the country and won't be able to take him in till morning and don't think he will make it that long. was wondering if i should pour salt into him to try to get him to vomit it out although he has been vomiting but not much coming out?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/7/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your ***** ***** boy Nemo who is unwell after eating chicken bones. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. This ingestion of chicken bones is definitely a worry for Jack as it sounds like he has been quite sick since eating them. These could cause an infectious gastroenteritis, and we also have to worry about a foreign body obstruction. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Nemo, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away. Getting him to vomit further here isn't going to help whatsoever, so please don't give him any salt.

For now, make sure Nemo has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on Nemo's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Nemo and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

How did you get on with Nemo overnight? It would be great to get an update when you have a moment.
Dr E
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian