Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Very strong smell of ammonia (from pee) Muffy - male - Peke…

Customer Question
Very strong smell of...

Very strong smell of ammonia (from pee)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Muffy - male - Peke breed......almost 16

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Name: Muffy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Muffy?

cataracts both eyes...pretty much blind

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Muffy.

I have a few questions to understand his condition better:

Is he having an urinary accidents?

Drinking more/less/the same amount?

Any pre-existing medical conditions?

Is he on any medications?

Urinary accidents - more than normal for his age esp. since he has trouble going down the stairs from the backyard deck (about 9 steps). It’s funny that he has no problem coming back up the steps.
Drinking more water than usual? I’d say more
Pre-existing conditions: other than blindness....no
Taking any prescriptions? No

Ok, his urinary accidents may be the result of his discomfort going down the stairs, or he may have a urinary tract infection.

Older dogs who drink more water than usual can have a urinary tract infection, diabetes or other conditions causing them to drink more. Dogs with diabetes are more prone to urinary tract infections because of the sugar that accumulates in the urine.

I'm concerned that he has cataracts as these can be the result of diabetes as well.

I recommend that he be seen by his veterinarian for an exam and urinalysis +/- blood testing to determine the cause of his symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Hi, it's Dr. Denise. Just checking in on Muffy. How is he doing?