Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My one year old mastiff has extremey loose stools. Bastian.

my one year old mastiff...
my one year old mastiff has extremey loose stools.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bastian
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bastian?
Customer: No..I bought him at one year old. he is now 14 months old. He was not neutered, but the breeder had him neutered for me. She has an interest in Life Abundance dog food, but he appears to not like it. I tried Orijen raw freeze dried at first, and that seemed Ok.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/6/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Bastian has diarrhea. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any blood in the stool?

3- Any vomiting?

4- Is he lethargic?

5- How much does he weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. He is also playful, affectionate and extremely sweet. This has been going on since I ran out of Orijen raw diet and put him on the breeder recommended Life Abundance. Gets very good ratings. I confess I give him treats in his food to entice him to eat. Small bits of cooked turkey or tuna.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He weighs a good 160 lbs. No blood, no mucus, no whitening in stood. Right now he is hungry and I am waiting to feed him. I also give him about one-fourth cup of white rice.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A trainer recommended water in his food, but that does not interest him either. Our schedule is difficult. We are out the door by 5 am. I am home to take him out at 11:30 am. Diarrhea on both events, usually. Small walk when I am home at 4:30, and a longer one after his dinner. He eats in the morning (5:30) and at 5-6pm. A longer walk at 7:30p and bed at 9p.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have I spoiled him w/treats?

Friend, it is possible this could be related to the new diet. Other common possible causes are ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 2 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian