Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My daughter's pug have destroyed a tube of betnovate cream

Hi my daughter's pug have...
Hi my daughter's pug have destroyed a tube of betnovate cream and the other has beaten or licked some. She has had a loose stool like greasy poo. will she be ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy nearly 3 pug
JA: How old is Roxy?
Customer: nearly 3 and maisey other pug is 6 month rascal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?
Customer: nothing she's healthy
10/6/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Can you tell how much was ingested? How long ago did they eat it? Can you tell me how much Roxy and Rascal weigh?

ok thankyou

Not so sure on quantity as not a full tube. Probably about 6 hours ago and both average size pugs for age.

So the toxicity would depend on how much was ingested and how much they weigh. So that is a bit tough for me to tell you what to expect.

If they ingested about a spoonful that should not cause more than gastrointestinal upset.

I wouldn't think as much as a spoonful as my daughter's had the cream 2 weeks and using regularly

I would start them on a bland diet of plain cooked chicken and rice or plain cooked ground beef and rice.

Start them on a human stomach acid reducer like Pepcid AC 10mg or Zantac 75mg tablets.

1/4 tablet per each 15 pounds of pug every 12 hours until Tuesday.

The Pepcid and Zantac are human over the counter stomach acid reducers and that should help protect the stomach lining from the steroid/cortisone cream effects.

But it sounds like they just ingested a small amount which is good news. : )

okay thank u. neither have been sick just the older one a greasy poo

You are very welcome. Start them on the Pepcid or Zantac as soon as you can. Hold off on dog food or treats until Monday and keep them on the bland diet until Monday. Then start to mix in their regular food into the bland diet.

They should also be back to normal by Monday.

okay thankyou.

Do you have any other questions for me or are you all set?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian