Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 14 week old australian labradoodle who always seems…

Customer Question
I have a 14...

I have a 14 week old australian labradoodle who always seems to bit near the base of her tail and on the backsides of both her back legs. We and our vet have checked for fleas and didn't see any, but the vet thought to give her a flea preventative anyway. Seemed to make no difference. She has been dewormed and also given something to get rid of a tapeworm which I saw in her stool a couple of seeks ago. She is fed a non-wheat kibble (Acana and Taste of the Wild) plus have been giving her some raw commercial food. She did have some white specks near the base of her tail last time I took her to the vet. the vet checked to see if they might be mites but said hard to identify mites--that is why she dive give the flea dose. Any thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Stella. She due to get her second distemper next week, so will follow up about the itching

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?

Not really, except that she seems to get very hyper after eating raw food (have given her some Darwins raw food in the evening).

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

So the main itchy area is over the base of tail and inner thighs? How long has she had this issue?

Have you ever had her allergy tested or has she ever been put on a completely hypoallergenic diet which wold not be a grain free but hypoallergenic?

If it is not flea allergy, ringworm (fungal infection), or mites then it would be food allergy or environmental allergy.

Your vet can do a blood test to see what she is allergic to. The treatment is symptomatic and there is no cure. However your vet could give allergy shots to desensitize her to the allergens. In dogs allergy shots are 50-75% effective. In terms of over the counter treatment you can try human benadryl which is for allergies.

1 mg of benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours.

For example a 50 pound dog would take 50 mg of benadryl every 12 hours.

That is not a cure but a symptomatic treatment.

Topically hydrocortisone spray and cream can be applied every few hours as needed.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian