Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is gold bond powder toxic for dogs if ingested? She had very…

Is gold bond powder...

Is gold bond powder toxic for dogs if ingested?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

She had very bad itching on her back so I put some on her and now she is lethargic and she vomited so I want to know if she could get worse and possibly die

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She was diagnosed with Lymes a few months ago and was treated with antibiotics

10/6/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

What is your dog's breed? Weight?

Has she been licking the Gold Bond powder?

How long has she been lethargic?

How many times has she vomited?

German Shepard 80lbs. Yes she was licking it. 2 days. Twice

Can you send me a picture of the ingredient label on the Gold Bond Powder? There are many different formulations, so I'd like to check all the active and inactive ingredients.

I cant send a picture but it says active ingriedients are menthol 0.15% zinc oxide 1.0% Inactive, talc,acacia, eucalyptol, methyl salicylate, salicylic acid, thymol, zinc stearate,

Ok, thank you for the ingredient list.

Menthol can cause vomiting and drooling if ingested. Zinc oxide, though not toxic unless consumed in very large quantities, can also be irritating to the gut can cause vomiting.

I recommend bathing her to remove the powder from her skin and coat.

The salicylate component is a derivative of aspirin and can be toxic to dogs. Ingestion of this can cause GI bleeding that may take 1-4 days to develop, Vomiting (+ blood), diarrhea (+ blood), abdominal pain, lethargy, weakness, and pallor (pale gums) may occur in patients experiencing GI bleeding.

For the vomiting, I recommended withholding all food and water for 12hrs since the last bout of vomiting. This is to allow is GI tract to rest.

After a 12hr fast, offer a small amount (1/4 cup) of water and see if she keeps it down. If she does for a few hours then offer a few tablespoons of food. If she continues to have no vomiting, continue to slowly increase his water and feeding.

At home you can treat symptomatically for the acid accumulation and settle her stomach with:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 20mg tablet every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one or two 20mg tablets every 24 hours.

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous and soothe their stomach lining. They are quite safe and can be given for several days if necessary.

If she continues to be lethargic, is not eating well or continues to vomit, I recommend having her seen by her veterinarian for a full hands-on exam and diagnostics.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you