Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Not eat for 3-4 days panting, and dark urine. Lab-chow mix…

Customer Question
Not eat for 3-4...

Not eat for 3-4 days panting , and dark urine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Lab-chow mix approx. 13 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the chow's name?

Monster

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Monster?

Very weak

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Monster is panting and not eating, and also has dark colored urine. I am sorry to hear about Monster's situation. Is there any history of vomiting or diarrhea?

no

This could be potentially serious. The dark colored urine is probably because Monster is not drinking enough water and is dehydrated. This is rather common in dogs that are not eating well. The panting indicates there is underlying discomfort or that Monster is not getting enough oxygen, which can be from heart or lung disease. The next best thing is to get Monster evaluated as soon as possible for heart / lung disease and to rule out sources of pain.

If the heart and lungs are fine then a painful abdomen is a high consideration. While you are waiting to see a veterinarian, I recommend to give Monster Pepcid to help decrease any potential nausea. You can give that every 12 hours. I also recommend to offer Monster a low fat diet for the next 3-5 days. Low fat foods consist of things like boiled chicken breast, white rice, or sweet potato.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian