Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog had had diarrhea for three weeks, got that cleared up…

Customer Question
Dog had had diarrhea...

Dog had had diarrhea for three weeks, got that cleared up and then he started vomiting after he ate. Got that resolved then he stopped eating. all blood work9 CBC Chen panel and lymes all normal. x-rays showed nothing. on my visit to the vet again yesterday he had a temp and the vet put him on doxycycline. he has vomited 5 times last nite and into today since starting on the antibiotic.. I am taking him fro a sonogram later today. Vet is not sure what is wrong. Poor guy still wags his tail when I approach him. I'm afraid he may get dehydrated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not really but this was the course of events over the past 5 weeks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/6/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. It is very possible that the doxycycline is causing the some of this vomiting now. Your vet may want to pull him off of it. If blood work is normal, then I start thinking about primary gastrointestinal problem, like a food allergy (even to a food he has eaten his whole life), a dietary sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), cancer, an ulcer or a pancreatitis. Even with the x-rays being normal, there could be a foreign body just causing a partial obstruction, so it wouldn't show up well the x-rays. I do think an ultrasound is a very good idea, but they may want to consider upper gastrointestinal endoscopy if the ultrasound shows nothing. They can get a biopsy to rule out IBD. If they haven't checked a CPLI or Spec CPL (specific for pancreatitis), I would definitely request that. They may also want to run a gastrointestinal panel (would include the CPL) to see if there is any evidence of IBD before an endoscopy, especially if the ultrasound shows diffuse inflammation in the GI tract. It may help to have him on a bland prescription diet, like I/D, or even a prescription hypoallergenic diet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your dog is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian